Just another UMW Blogs weblog

YouTube

It would be hard to imagine the Internet without it.  Its crazy to think that ten years ago a website that does two things — accept user videos, and let anyone watch them, would be an outlandish idea.  Bandwidth is the key, really, and luckily we’re not on dial up anymore.

YouTube just turned five.

Five.

Cinco.

5.

V.

It’s not even in the first grade.  From the YouTube fact sheet:

Traffic and Stats

People are watching 2 billion videos a day on YouTube and uploading hundreds of thousands of videos daily. In fact, every minute, 24 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube.

That is an amazing amount of content, constantly on the wire.  Nowadays there are quite a few different websites like YouTube.  Some are for music videos, some for education, and some are also general purpose like YouTube.  If it’s popular and found on the Internet, there is bound to be a Google search engine designed for it. ABC, FOX, NBC, MSNBC, CNN — all let you watch videos of their television content online.  Sometimes it’s online-only content.  Too hot for TV?  Probably not, but that’s not the point.

Now, different distributors are pushing high definition content. YouTube can stream in 720p (depending on the original content).  That’s pretty substantial for a streaming service, especially one that serves 2 billion videos a day.  Most people don’t even get that sort of quality through their television cable/satellite provider.  That’s saying something.

Today, Videos & the Internet go hand in hand.  I’ve still got some youth left in me, but if I were to talk to my little cousin and tell him that watching videos used to not be a function of the Internet, he might not believe me.

Anyways, I’m going to go watch some cats. Bye.