Just another UMW Blogs weblog

Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket, ImgShack.

What they offer is essentially an online photo album.  Sort of.  You get X amount of space for free, you can set privacy settings on picture/albums/folders, and some of the sites are very “social” — allowing you to do things such as comment, tag, share, etc.  Web 2.0 is about the user, and users like pictures.

It’s really easy to search, upload, and share photos and images on the web.  Flickr offers a pretty nice search, with some advanced functions for licensing restrictions, and Google has its own services to offer for image searches as well.  If sharing is a little below your pay-grade, you can check out iStockPhoto, “the internet’s original member-generated image and design community”, where you can sell your stock photos to those who may be interested.  Google offers cool ways to search for similar images, or searching for images by color, or size.  On the Android mobile OS, Google offers a pretty cool program called Google Goggles, which lets you search the internet not via text but via images taken with your cell phone camera.  It can’t be used for everything, and it’s not 100% reliable, but you can use it to search for many products (it can even show you where to buy them nearby), and you take pictures of words and search the web that way (maybe words on an ad or something you wrote down).  I’ve used it, and it’s quite the novelty. I’m anxious to see where it goes in the future, but as of now it’s still pretty cool.

Images are definitely a part of the web, and they are there to stay.  Just about every social network I know of has some sort of photo hosting capabilities, and then there are the countless image sharing networks, and of course the search engines designed to search with images or for images.  I leave you with a slightly confusing picture of a skeleton that I found in “The Commons” on Flickr, an abundance of images with no licensing restrictions.

From "The Commons" at Flickr

image credit: http://www.blogperfume.com/new-27-circular-social-media-icons-in-3-sizes/ & http://www.flickr.com/photos/powerhouse_museum/2980051095/